Thursday, March 22, 2012

Page to Screen: The Hunger Games

Last night, I went to a midnight screening for The Hunger Games (what with being a harcore fan of the series and all). And, with the excitement surrounding the movie, I just thought I'd let everyone know exactly what they're in for. So, here's the breakdown:

The Pros:
The Set: The set for this movie was perfect in every single way. District 12, the Capitol, the Arena - everything looked exactly as I had imagined it. And for a movie to achieve this is a massive, massive pro in my book

The Actors: When the cast for this movie was announced, I don't think anyone had any doubts about how suited the actors were for their characters. Jennifer Lawrence perfectly balances strength and vulnerability in Katniss and Josh Hutcherson perfectly plays the sweet and charismatic Peeta. Shout outs also have to go to Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket and Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman, who literally brought their characters to life. 

The Atmosphere and Underlying Message: the one thing that made this movie amazing was that it felt so real. This movie was so down-to-earth, that it didn't feel like a scifi, dystopian, out of this world movie. Pair this with the underlying messages about humanity and morality, and the movie has a profound impact. 

The Cons:
The Plot: With every book that is translated onto the big screen, there are bound to be plot points that don't make the final cut. I expected this when I went in, but I have to say that I have some serious problems with some of the plot points that were missed in the movie. One major problem for me involved the mutts, and if you've read the books, you'll know what I mean. 

The Budget: The Hunger Games was made on a budget of $78mn, and I hate to say it, but the movie fell short in the special effects department because of this. 

The Overall Verdict: The Hunger Games movie has managed to be very true to the novel whilst also establishing itself as a separate entity. Was it amazing, yes, but could it have been better. The answer: probably. 

What about you? What did you think of The Hunger Games movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...