Friday, January 3, 2014

Let's Talk about Series

It seems today that YA fiction is dominated by series and trilogies. Even a novel written as a standalone can be expanded into a trilogy if it's popular enough. With my signup for the 2014 Seriously Series Reading Challenge, I thought I'd take a look at all the series I've either read, am currently reading, or plan to read in the future. 

Series Completed: 7 (I'm sure I've completed more, but since I only started keeping track of what I read in late 2011, I honestly don't remember)

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
The Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen 
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott
The Confessions of Georgia Nicholson by Louise Rennison

Series Actively Reading: 14 (these are the series where when the next book is released, I have to buy it and read it soon!)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
Tempest by Julie Cross
The Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Splintered by A.G Howard
The Flappers by Jillian Larkin
Tempe Brennan by Kathy Reichs
Abandon by Meg Cabot
Penryn & the End of Days by Susan Ee
The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Precious Stones Trilogy by Kerstin Geir
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Series Not Actively Reading: 6 (these are the series that I plan to continue reading one day, but not in the immediate future)

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Misadventures of Talluah Casey by Louise Rennison 
Legend by Marie Lu
A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R Martin
The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
The Arthurian Saga by Mary Stewart

Series Started with No Intent to Finish: 11

Anna by Kendare Blake
Kinsey Millhone by Sue Grafton
Carrier Trilogy by Leigh Fallon
The Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross
The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren Destefano
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
The Cousin's War by Philippa Gregory
George Smiley by John le Carre
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
The Wicked Years by Gregory Maguire
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Series I Own the First Book In and Have Yet to Start: 100+ (which means there are waaaay too many to list here, so I'm just going to list those I plan to begin reading this year)

Eve by Anna Carey
The Grisha by Leigh Bardugo 
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza
Pivot Point by Kasie West
Across the Universe by Beth Revis
His Fair Assassin by Robin LaFevers
Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan
All Our Yesterdays by Christin Terrill
The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
Icons by Margaret Stohl
The Blackcoat Rebellion by Aimee Carter
Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant
Just One Day by Gayle Forman
The Maze Runner by James Dasher
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
The Program by Suzanne Young
Reboot by Amy Tintera 

It's a bit sad that I can only remember finishing 7 series in my past. I don't know if this was because back in the day I didn't read as many series, or I failed to finish them, but since I have started 11 series in the past two years and have no intent on finishing them, I'm going to go with the latter. On the plus side, I'm planning to start 20 series this year! I don't know whether this is a good idea or not, since if I enjoy them all, that means I'll have a lot more books to bump up by TBR list, which pushes down other books I really want to read...ARGH it's so hard when you read so many good books! #bookishpeopleproblems

How about you? Are you better than me and finish every series you start, or are you one of those people who never finishes a series ever? I'm curious to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...