Monday, February 3, 2014

Book Review: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner
Release Date: 6th October 2009
Publisher: Random House
Format: eBook
Pages: 307
Rating: 4.0/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2014 EBC, 2014 RC and 2014 SSC 

Summary from Goodreads:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade-a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they've closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up-the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 
Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind."

Review:
** Spoiler Alert: Read at your own risk**

Ever since I became aware that this was being turned into a movie, to be released later this year, well, I just had to read it. And may I say, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie now, because I quite enjoyed this.

I was a bit apprehensive going into this because back in the day, this used to be on the required reading list for many highschoolers in my area. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with required reading - I always found that of the 5 or so books I was given to read for English class, there was only ever 1 I actually enjoyed reading, and there was at least one I loathed. So knowing this was required reading for some firming pushed this off my radar, until I started blogging and saw the love the blogosphere had for this series. And I'm glad to say that it's well deserved.

I'm struggling majorly right now to pinpoint exactly what it was that I enjoyed about this novel. I liked the plot and setting, which were sound, albeit a little predictable. I think we all knew that the maze was unsolvable, and I wasn't at all surprised that they'd have to escape through the Griever hole thingymabob.  Up until the last couple of chapters, everything plodded along how I expected it to, in an interesting and enthralling way. Even though I thought I knew what was going to happen, it was still enjoyable to read, probably because I was so damn curious about those Creators and what Tom and Teresa had to do with it all. All those mysteries, they can't help but draw you in.

I think what ultimately sold me on this was the last couple of chapters, because that's when things started happening that you weren't expecting. First off, Gally reappears, to test just one last variable, which results in CHUCK DYING. WHY?!? I am so curious to find out what they were actually testing there, although I'm expecting it has something to do with Tom. And then we hit that epilogue. That epilogue man, it's so damn creepy. Just when I was starting to fall into the trap of thinking that they actually had been rescued, they throw that at me, and I realise just how crazy the whole things actually is; how they're using and manipulating children to find a way to solve their problem. I don't know why exactly I didn't realise that earlier. But, damn, that epilogue. 

Overall, I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...