Sunday, November 27, 2011

Introducing a new segment - Page to Screen

So its been a little while since I last posted on the blog. As it turns out, not only am I really lazy, but it takes me longer than I thought to get my way through a book. So, I came up with an idea for a new segment on the blog - Page to Screen. Since I happen to watch a lot of TV and movies, I thought that I could add this to the blog, by talking about how successfully I think a book was transferred to the small or big screen. So, in the first post, here is a success story, and a tragedy. 
*Note - clicking on the pictures will lead you to some fun external websites, links will lead you to various places...

The Success Story - Harry Potter
No one can deny that Harry Potter is one of both literature's and Hollywood's success stories. The books have sparked a worldwide following, and the movies have earned almost $8 billion at the global box office. And whilst the movies and books have come to an end, Harry Potter continues to live on, with the online world of Pottermore and the exhibition traveling the world (currently in Sydney). And, honestly, we're not going to forget the likes of Harry, Ron and Hermione anytime soon.

 
I read this book around the time the movie came out and I absolutely loved it! But, the story didn't translate very well onto the screen. For a start, the character of Rebecca Bloomwood seemed a bit too whimsical on screen, when she was so perfect on paper. And what was with the moving  mannequins? They were on their own level of creepy... COAS had potential, but the movie didn't do the book justice, garnering only a 25% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The book, however, has gone on to bigger and greater things, spawning a series of around 7 books and counting.







And there you have it - my first Page to Screen post (I'm sure they'll get better the more I do)! This will be my last post for about a week since I'm going away on holiday tomorrow!!! I'm extremely excited about it :)  Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...