Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare
Release Date: 19th February 2008
Publisher: Simon and Schuster 
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 485
Rating: 4.5/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2013 OTS, 2013 ODY, 2013 BSR and 2013 GVR

Summary from Amazon:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
"When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . ."

Review:
I'm not feeling over the moon about this book. Which is a shame, because I thought I would. But, from what I've heard, this book provides solid set up for the rest of the series, so I'll probably check out the second novel to see if it picks up.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm not in love with this book. I've tried thinking about different aspects of the book, but I can't pinpoint one thing that could have caused this. The plot was solid, the characters were likeable and the whole world of shadow hunters and demons was well set up. I just, I wasn't over the moon, and for that reason, I can't give it 5/5, which I was expecting to when I began with this book. Coming off from reading The Evolution of Mara Dyer probably doesn't help, because I loved that book so much. 

What I did like was that twist at the end (which I had in the back of my mind since about mid way through the novel, but it took me a while to actually put it all together). It changes your opinions about certain relationships. Well, at least, I hope it changes your mind about certain relationships, because if it doesn't, then I would be a bit worried. Overall, it is a good read, and I would recommend it. 


2 comments:

  1. I need to read these books! Sometimes, I find that when I have high expectations about a book, because of rave reviews and whatnot, I tend to feel a bit disappointed with them. Maybe that's why you didn't like it AS much as you thought you would...because your expectations were too high? You expect it to be the best book ever, but then it falls short. I dunno, that's what happens to me sometimes! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right - sometimes having high expectations is a massive problem. That's why I love reading books that I know next to nothing about, because sometimes they can turn out to be amazing. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...