Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #5) by Michael Scott

The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #5) by Michael Scott 
Release Date: 24th April 2012
Publisher: Random House
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 264
Rating: 4.5/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2012 OTS Challenge

Summary from Amazon:
" In the fifth installment of this bestselling series, the twins of prophesy have been divided, and the end is finally beginning.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free deliveryWith Scatty, Joan of Arc, Saint Germain, Palamedes, and Shakespeare all in Danu Talis, Sophie is on her own with the ever-weakening Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel. She must depend on Niten to help her find an immortal to teach her Earth Magic. The surprise is that she will find her teacher in the most ordinary of places. "

Review:
If you follow this blog, you'll know that I'm a pretty big fan of this series. I started this series earlier this year and I just couldn't get enough. And the fifth instalment in this series which appears to be coming to a close doesn't disappoint. The book is just as action packed and drama filled as its predecessors. By five books, you might think that the author might start running out of ideas, out of things to say. But this really isn't the case for these books. The characters continue to learn and grow (even some new characters are introduced), new facts get revealed, along with new mysteries, with all of this surrounded by constant action. 

I liked how Scott set out his chapters in this novel. Each chapter focuses on a group of people, and at any given time, there could be six or seven different groups that a chapter could focus on. For me, I found this was an effective tool to keep me reading - I would reach the end of a chapter, turn the page and find the next chapter is focusing on a different group of people, and I want to know what they're doing, so I just keep reading! It's a good way to help you get quickly through a book that's almost 400 pages long. 

If I had to point out something I didn't like, it would have to involve the Lotan. I don't mean to spoil anything, but the Lotan was built up to be this unstoppable creature, but then, the way that it is stopped is so simple and over so quickly, that I just didn't think it fit well. And this actually annoyed me quite a bit. That aside, The Warlock is a great fifth instalment in this series, and I'll be getting my hands on the sixth book as soon as I can. 



BUT THERE'S MORE! **SPOILERS AHEAD** 

So, Isis and Osiris are Sophie and Josh's parents. I really did NOT see that one coming. And it has raised sooo many unanswered questions. The first thing that popped into my head was if the actual Isis and Osiris were their parents, of if reincarnations of them were. But then I realised that Isis and Osiris recognised the twins, so they must be their parents. With Elder parents, wouldn't this then make Sophie and Josh Next Generation? Is this why they are the twins of legend? Their parents true identity must be a well hidden secret, because surely someone would know about it - the Flamels, the other Elders, Tsagaglalal? Speaking of Tsagaglalal, she said she watched over the females and Gilgamesh watched over the males - but how do Isis and Osiris fit into this? Surely Tsagaglalal or Gilgamesh would have noticed their sudden appearance in a family line? Did they and they just didn't mention it? SO MANY QUESTIONS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...