Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Review: Withering Tights (The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey #1) by Louise Rennison

Withering Tights (The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey #1) by Louise Rennison
Release Date: 8th July 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Format: Hardback 
Pages: 351
Rating: 4.0/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2013 ODY and 2013 BSR

Summary from Goodreads:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery"Picture the scene: Dother Hall performing arts college somewhere Up North, surrounded by rolling dales, bearded cheesemaking villagers (male and female) and wildlife of the squirrely-type. On the whole, it’s not quite the showbiz experience Tallulah was expecting… but once her mates turn up and they start their ‘FAME! I’m gonna liiiiive foreeeeeever, I’m gonna fill my tiiiiights’ summer course things are bound to perk up.

Especially when the boys arrive. (When DO the boys arrive?)
Six weeks of parent-free freedom. BOY freedom. Freedom of expression… cos it’s the THEATRE dahling, the theatre!!"

Review:
Ahh, this was a throwback to the books I used to read way back when I had only just become a teenager. This is the humourous, light hearted fun I remember from when I read Rennison's Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series back when I was 13. And that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Rennison has a real knack for writing the whimsical teenager. Tallulah, our protagonist, only has a few problems - most of which revolve around boys.
She's the light-hearted teenager that can be hard to come by in books now-a-days, what with almost every book tackling some sort of issue, whether it be abuse, mental health, or the premise of the book itself leading the protagonist to have a less than breezy life (well, at least I've seen this in the majority of books I read). Don't get me wrong, I love these books, but it was nice to sit back and read about a girl who's biggest problem was her small boobs.

This is no work of literary genius. This isn't a book that's going to make you feel all the feels. This doesn't have a protagonist who's trying to move through some big, big issues. And this isn't set in a world that our protagonist has to change. But, maybe if you think you might need a bit of a break from books like this, you might want to give Rennison's books a try. If I was laughing out loud on more than one occasion, I'm sure you will too.

Sidenote: If you saw the movie Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging way back in 2008, don't base your opinion of Rennison's books on this - they're soooo much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...